Monday, February 25, 2013

What's Most Important?

I was really thinking about what I could write about today. I went onto the Mormon Channel app on my iPod, and saw what one of the videos was called "What Matters Most," and loved that topic idea. So, here we are!

In my life, I've always been taught to cherish what's most important. Over the last few years especially, going through my illness, I've really thought about what is most important. Here's what I think is most important in my life:

 
1. My faith in Jesus Christ and His atonement along with my testimony of the gospel. I am so grateful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It has helped me through everything. I love that with the atonement, Jesus Christ didn't pay for just our sins. He suffered for every feeling of pain, hurt, and sadness. I know that no matter what I go through, I will never, ever be alone.
 
 
 
2. My family. From L to R: Chris, Allie, me, my mom, my dad, Justin, Hayden, Ashley, Tim, Camden, and Brooke. I have the best family ever. I know everyone says that, and it's probably true. I believe we were all placed in the families we are in for a reason. :) There is NO way I could make it through life and it's challenges without them. I'm so glad that we can be together forever.
 




 
3. My friends. Friends are like my second family. I love spending time with all of them and I appreciate everything they do for me, just like my family. It's always been a good time, I've never come home and thought, That was boring. I'm excited to tell my future kids all the stories of crazy times with all these guys!
 
 
4. My health. This is one of my senior pictures- I'm in my Student Government uniform. I chose this picture because amidst all of my health trials over the years, I was still able to continue on with life and do the things I love. I know that my body isn't going to ever be perfect, but I'm grateful that I can still walk, run, breath, smile, eat, and live life as normally as possible.
 
 
5. Life. It's great to just reach out your hands like in this picture and proclaim, "I'm alive!" It really is! I think it's really important to live your life fully, taking in as much as you can- the beauty, wonder, and amazement of the world. I went to a friend's farewell yesterday, and she quoted Marjorie Pay Hinckley, "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow what a ride!'" Well said.
 
 
It's real easy to get caught up in those not-so-important worldly things: TV, Netflix, the computer, Facebook, Twitter. I'm not going to lie, I spend a lot of time using worldly things. And yes, to show you that I "practice what I preach," I've decided that I'm going to cut back on my Facebook use. Instead of checking it multiple times a day, I'll only check it about once a week. And the only thing you'll see posted from me are these updates that show a new blog post. I'll let you know how it goes.
 
So figure out, right now, what is most important in your life. Write it down, stick in somewhere, in your scriptures, on your wall. And don't forget. Cherish what you have, and look for what you can improve on.
 
As always, if you've made it this far, thanks. :) Besides using this blog to put in my journal, it would just be a huge waste of time if no one read it. So thanks. And until next time, keep running!

No comments:

Post a Comment