Monday, February 18, 2013

Life's Direction

As a lot of you know, or heard, my sister is now a married woman! It's so crazy. But she chose a good man. They are really good together!

As the wedding was coming together and things were getting closer, I started to think about my life. And I'm sure everyone my age is thinking the same thing: Where do I see myself in 5 years? 10 years? What do I do now? When will I get married? Will I get married?

A couple weeks ago, I was thinking about what I wanted to do and where I wanted my life to go. It's almost been a year since I graduated, and I still don't know what I want to be when I "grow up"- I have a few ideas, but it seems like that changes every now and then. I was praying about what I should do, and I came across a scripture in Sacrament meeting:

"For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.
Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;
For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward." (D&C 58:26-28)
 
Two things from this scripture: First, the Lord does answer our prayers. I'm not going to share some of them because they are personal to me, but I might share some more as this blog goes on. Two, yes, I need guidance from the Lord in what I do, but He will not guide me in every single thing I do. Does that make sense? We are given agency, and we are blessed when we use that agency to do good. So for the moment, what I can do is to be "anxiously engaged in a good cause" (which we should be all the time, right?). Another thing besides prayer and the scriptures that really helps me is my patriarchal blessing. For those of you who do not have yours yet, look into it. I got mine two months ago and it has helped me so much already.
 
About my direction in life, I honestly believe that this blog is one of the things I need to be doing right now, especially with what I've been going through. I don't know why I have to go through the trial of having cancer, but I do have faith the Lord and His plan for me and I know that whatever happens in my life is meant for me and that it will bless me or will bless others, maybe right now or maybe down the road. I hope all of you readers are enjoying hearing my thoughts, because I love writing them down.

Speaking of direction in life, one thing I really want to do right now is to be spreading the gospel out in the mission field. The hardest thing about being sick right now is seeing all my friends leave. Yeah, I'll miss them and I'm so happy for them, but I wish that I could be out there- right now. I know that it's not in the Lord's plan for me to be in the mission field at the moment. The phrase "every member a missionary" keeps coming to mind. And you know what? You don't have to be in another country or another state to share the Gospel. There are plenty of people around me that I can reach out to.

I'm sorry if it feels like I'm rambling, but these thoughts have been on my mind a lot lately. To basically sum it all up, what you're living and where you are at in life right now is up to you. Get it where you want it to be and where the Lord wants you to be. Your direction in life is your choice. Until next week, keep running!

No comments:

Post a Comment