Monday, February 11, 2013

Look Up!

Let me fill you in on a little secret. Do you want to know what my biggest "weapon" is in the fight against cancer (besides of course the LDS church and the gospel?)

A positive attitude!

Seriously. And people always say, "Why are you so happy?" or "You've been handed a handful of crap, but you're still smiling." And I'll tell you- I have a reason to be upset. I have a reason to be mad. I have a lot of reasons, actually. But let's remember, everyone has problems.

That's just life.

Let's go back to those questions. When someone asks me that, I usually just say, "You know, I don't know." I don't really have an answer right on the spot. I've been thinking about it a lot lately. It might, for a minute, make me feel better, but it won't do anything for me. So I choose not to complain because it's only going to make things worse. I choose to be happy and have a positive attitude; it makes me a better person, it helps me through difficult things, and it gives me hope.

I'm sure you've heard the story in conference that Elder Carl B. Cook shared in the October 2011 general conference:
 
As the elevator descended, my head was down and I stared blankly at the floor.
The door opened and someone entered, but I didn’t look up. As the door closed, I heard someone ask, “What are you looking at down there?” I recognized that voice—it was President Thomas S. Monson.
I quickly looked up and responded, “Oh, nothing.” (I’m sure that clever response inspired confidence in my abilities!)
But he had seen my subdued countenance and my heavy briefcase. He smiled and lovingly suggested, while pointing heavenward, “It is better to look up!” (taken from http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2011/10/it-is-better-to-look-up?lang=eng)
 
I really like this story. You're not making anything better for yourself or anyone else by looking down at the floor. Yeah, it helps to avoid those awkward conversations... but I'm getting off the point! I can tell you from my own personal experiences that a positive attitude will make your situation so much better. For example, here are some of the positive things I've remembered to help me:
  • The medical capabilities of today are AMAZING! I'm so blessed that the doctors know how to help me
  • I was in one of the best cancer facilities in the world
  • I got to be home for Christmas
  • I get to see a lot of my family- all the time!
  • A friend and I have kind of drifted apart through the years, but I've seen him a lot lately and our friendship has been strengthened
  • I was able to eat my favorite food, Sticky Fingers from Winger's for my birthday
  • I DID NOT SPEND MY 19th BIRTHDAY IN THE HOSPITAL!!!!!!!
  • I get to see my cousins more (because we stay at their house when we go up north)
  • For the past month, I have not had a surgery so I've been able to rest at home and help prepare for Ashley's wedding
  • No strain for trying to juggle my hospital stays for wedding planning
  • It's going to take a while, but I will be able run again! :) :) :)
See? All that I've been through, and that ^^^ is just some of the many positive things I've noticed. So next time you are faced with a problem, think of the positives and it will help you get through it. Thanks for reading. Until next time, keep running!

2 comments:

  1. Erik!
    You are so great! I desperately needed this reminder today. I can't tell you how encouraging I found this post. I hope you're doing swell. Keep it up buddy! Thanks again. =)
    Love, Jessica F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Jess! I'm glad that it helped for you! And yes, I'm doing swell. Thanks for reading. :)

    ReplyDelete